The next lecture in the UCC-Defence Forces Lecture Series will be on ‘The European Union, Security and Defence: Logic of Integration, Logic of Sovereignty’, by Dr. Andrew Cottey, Department of Government and Politics, University College Cork. The lecture will take place on-line on Thurs 17th December, 6.30-8.00 (Irish/UK time).
The zoom link can be found here: https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_NDE0YTQ5NjItODE1MS00NjZjLWE5MjYtNjZmMDI1YjBmZDQx%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%2246fe5ca5-866f-4e42-92e9-ed8786245545%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%22c4a52d97-5ca7-444a-998b-57d60695eff1%22%2c%22IsBroadcastMeeting%22%3atrue%7d)
The lecture is open to all.
From Brexit, to US politics, to China, to climate change, external challenges raise questions about whether – and how – the European Union (EU) can do more to provide for its own security and contribute to global peace and security. Dr. Cottey will argue that debates on this issue within the EU are underpinned by two competing logics: the logic of integration and the logic of sovereignty. This lecture will explore how these two logics have played out to date in the development of the EU’s Common Security and Defence Policy (CSDP) and discuss how they may play out in future.
Andrew Cottey is a Professor and EU Jean Monnet Chair in European Political Integration, Department of Government and Politics, University College Cork. He is an expert in European security and author of a number of books, including Security in 21st Century Europe (Palgrave Macmillan), and over 80 journal articles, book chapters and policy papers. He is currently Chair of the Royal Irish Academy’s Standing Committee on International Affairs and a member of the governing board of the British American Security Information Council (BASIC).
The UCC-Defence Forces Lecture Series aims to contribute to informed public debate on contemporary global security challenges, how such problems may impact on Ireland and how Ireland can contribute to addressing regional and global security threats. The lecture series is jointly organised by the Defence Forces and UCC’s Colleges of Arts, Celtic Studies and Social Sciences and Business and Law.
- The European Union, Security and Defence: Logic of Integration, Logic of Sovereignty
- Prof. Andrew Cottey, Department of Government and Politics, University College Cork
- Thurs 17th December 2020, 18.30-20.00 (Irish/UK time)
- On-line via this link: (- no registration or log-in is required, but we kindly request that you go to link shortly before the start time of 18.30).
- The lecture will also be recorded so that people may view it later if they wish.
Next lectures in the UCC-Defence Forces Lecture Series:
- ‘Ireland and the UN Security Council’, Sonja Hyland, Political Director, Irish Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Thursday 28th January 2021, 18.30-20.00 (Irish/UK time) – this lecture will address Ireland’s priorities as it starts a two-year term as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council.
- ‘The Irish Naval Service’, Captain Brian FitzGerald, Officer Commanding Naval Operations Command & 2IC Irish Naval Service, Thursday 25th February 2021, 18.30-20.00 (Irish/UK time)