Posted by Elaine Byrne
Detailed information on rationale for proposals contained in links within each proposal taken from my Irish Times columns. The reason for reform.
- Publish full political financial accounts online, greater powers for Standards Commission and ratify GRECO recommendations.
- Reform committee system, repeal Abbeylara decision and give committees renewed investigative powers.
- Rebalance relationship between executive and legislature as was intended in Article 28 of Constitution
- Meaningful open government with stronger FOI legislation, new whistleblower and lobbying legislation and public appointments board.
- Reform local government with revenue raising powers and reform planning powers
- Diverse representation in public life through a reformed Senand which would encompass island of Ireland and diaspora in public life
- Introduce gender quotas, lower voting age to 16, reform decision making process
- Change the electoral system
- Definition of Republic in constitution and statement of values
- Citizens assembly to be implemented